Private Rented Accommodation

There is a good supply of privately rented accommodation in Newport and properties are available in most areas. Renting privately offers:

  • Choice - a range of accommodation exists with flats and apartments being more readily available in some areas and houses in others
  • Flexibility - you choose which areas you want to consider
  • Speed - properties are available now
  • Furnished and non-furnished properties are available

Can I Afford It?

If you are on a low income, you may qualify for Housing Benefit (you can download the application form here) to help you pay the rent. You can use the Council's Housing Benefit Calculator to get an instant benefit estimate. Remember that you will also have to pay other bills such as gas, electricity and water - use the budget calculator or budget planner to help make sure that you can cover these costs.

Will Housing Benefit fully cover the rent?

The maximum amount of Housing Benefit that can be paid depends on the size of the property that your household needs and is set by Local Housing Allowance rates. Please note that you may not receive the maximum amount as your household income and savings will be taken into account to assess your Housing Benefit claim.

What if I can't afford to pay a bond?

Most private landlords require tenants to pay a bond equivalent to one months rent to secure against damage to property or unpaid rent at the end of the tenancy. If you pay a cash bond to a landlord they must protect it under one of the Government's authorised tenancy deposit schemes and tell you within 14 days of receiving it which scheme they have used. If you have any dispute with your landlord always seek advice.

An additional route would be to consider Bond schemes help people who are homeless, vulnerably housed, on benefits or low income access private rented accommodation. Bond schemes are a paper bond guarantee to private landlords up to the value of one months rent.

Bond scheme professionals work very closely with both landlords and tenants to ensure a smooth tenancy as well as remaining on hand to offer advice and assistance with any tenancy related difficulties.

Solas Right Move Bond Guarantee Schemes are funded by the Welsh Assembly Government and are operated in partnership with local authorities in Newport, Monmouthshire and Torfaen.

To Contact Solas Right Move please ring 01633 664045 or use their online contact us feature.

If you are not able to get help alternatively, you may want to find out whether you are eligible for a Discretionary Assistance Fund or Budgeting Loan to help with the costs of furniture/household equipment or other costs associated with the move.

How long will I be able to stay?

Tenancies are generally assured shorthold for 6 or 12 months. They can usually be extended if you haven't breached the terms of your tenancy agreement. As always, contact an advice agency if you need help.

What about furniture?

Furnished and unfurnished properties are available in most areas of the city. Raven House, The Salvation Army and Freecycle may be able to assist with your furniture needs.